b i o g r a p h y
John was born in Millersburg, Ohio in 1940. His youth was spent in Killbuck, Ohio and Sarasota, Florida. After graduating from the University of Florida in 1963 with a degree in advertising, he worked for BBDO and DKG (advertising agencies) in New York City before moving to Atlanta to work on the Fresca (Coca-Cola) account with the Marshalk Agency.
With Scott & Drew 1973
Hadassah Hospital Jerusalem 1989
First painting 1965
He started painting without lessons in 1965 while working in New York City. He copied a Christmas card for his first painting.
He had one-man shows in Georgia and Oklahoma City prior to his first show in Paris in 1974. While in Paris, John thought of his grandfather's work as a country doctor. He was inspired by his grandfather's commitment to helping others...by never putting limits on his dreams as a doctor...by taking care of those who couldn't pay for care.
After returning from Paris, John volunteered at Northside Hospital in Atlanta with the desire to simply help those who were struggling. He discovered patients were surrounded by blank, cold walls and came to the realization that art could do more...that art could give comfort, love and hope to those who need it the most...to patients, families and the medical staffs in hospitals and nursing homes.
John is Founder of The Foundation for Hospital Art, Inc, a non-profit organization he started in 1984. The Foundation's mission is to give comfort and hope to patients, families, medical staffs, and visitors by providing artwork to care facilities around the world. The Foundation's vision is to make hospitals our most beautiful places for healing.
"Waiting For The Bus." Telfair Museum - Savannah
With help from over 500,000 volunteers, over 35,000 paintings have been donated to over 2,500 hospitals, nursing homes and care facilities in 195 countries.
Affiliations & Honorary Titles
Paris show poster 1974
John and his wife Linda live in Big Canoe, GA, near Atlanta. They have two sons. Scott graduated from West Point in '91 and now serves as Executive Director for The Foundation for Hospital Art. Drew received his Ph.D. in History from the University of Kentucky and is now an Associate Professor at Shawnee State University in Portsmouth, OH.
- George Washington Honor Medal, Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge
- 11Alive Atlanta Community Service Award
- Trailblazer Award, International Furnishings and Design Association
- Honorary Member, Northside Hospital Auxiliary, Atlanta, GA
- Honorary Member, Erlanger Medical Center Auxiliary, Chattanooga, TN
- Honorary Citizen, Dampierre, France, near Paris
- Honorary Nurse, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, NJ
- Nominated for 1995 National Medal of Arts Award
- Honorary Physician, John J. Pershing V.A. Medical Center
- TBS TV Super 17 Honoree, Community Service - Health Category
- Points of Light Foundation "National Family Volunteer Award"
- Paul Harris Fellow - Rotary International
- SafePath Illuminating Hope Award
- Painting "Waiting For The Bus," permanent collection, Telfair Museum, Savannah
- Atlanta Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Community Service Award
- West Point Society of Atlanta Outstanding Citizen Award
©2015 John Feight. All rights reserved.